Significant improvement in EL9 vs EL7

Hi all,

We’re preparing to transition from CentOS7 to AlmaLinux9 soon. I installed the two OSes side-by-side on a new box (Asus ESC4000-E11, dual Xeon Gold 6530 @ 2.10GHz with 64 hardware cores in total). To my great surprise, there is a significant difference between the HS23 scores: 1830 vs 1450 without HT or 2350 vs 1960 with HT. That’s a 20-25% boost. Is it expected? Are other folks seeing similar figures? If yes, shouldn’t the table also list the OS the benchmark was run under?

Best,
Evgeny

Hi Evgeny,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this topic. What you say is indeed surprising and we would like to look deeper into the issue, especially since we haven’t observed major differences between OSes so far.

Would you mind creating a ticket including the result files? That will help us keep track of the matter, thank you!

Best,
Gonzalo

Hi Gonzalo,

OK, I will do that. While preparing the logs, I realized that under Centos7, I still had HS23 v1.5 installed, while it’s v2.0rc6 under Alma9 (I was testing the new --ncores flag). So I’ll rerun the benchmark, ensuring an identical version in both cases.

Best,
Evgeny

Done, ticket 166741.